Thursday, July 19, 2012

And as we go on/we remember/all the times we/had together


"Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together?  I guess that wouldn't work.  Someone would leave.  Someone always leaves.  Then we would have to say good-bye.  I hate good-byes.  I know what I need.  I need more hellos." –Charles M. Schulz

"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same." – Flavia Weedn 

June 30th marked the end of my AmeriCorps service, but lucky for you Dear Reader, not the end of my blog! Not only do I still have plenty of thoughts I have yet to get down on paper for your reading pleasure from my service in St. Paul, but I'll be starting a new chapter in my life! I just moved back to my hometown of Davis, California where I'm starting grad school, and will be student teaching in the neighboring town of Dixon. Super excited. 

I know it's been over a month since my last post, but I was a guest writer for the Minnesota Reading Corps blog this month, so that was exciting. You can read my post, about what I learned from Reading Corps Training that will help me in my life after AmeriCorps. (This post was a little more professional than my thoughts last August, right after training). Ultimately, just like even though I graduated from Carleton in 2010, I'm still very much a Carl, and even though my service years are over, it's not a chapter that is closed in my life. I still intend to visit my old school, and my amerifriends, and of course all of my other friends back in Minnesota as often as possible. 

I'd like to think that I made an impact in those two short years with my students, but who knows? (The Onion has an idea). I know my students became better readers, so there's that. And now I'll embark on a journey to help even more children. And now I'm in Davis. The other day I was in Minnesota--it hasn't hit me that I'm not going to go home to my good old duplex and awesome roommates in a week.

So here's to hellos and goodbyes--meeting new people at UCD, and new students and teachers, learning a lot and being close to family. And to visiting Minnesota soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment