Monday, January 9, 2012

#firstworldproblems

I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an escalator temporarily out of order sign, only an escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience.
 
My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should have just said, "Yeah."
 
If you find yourself lost in the woods, fuck it, build a house. "Well, I was lost but now I live here! I have severely improved my predicament!" -Mitch Hedberg

My friend was griping hardcore about his broken flat screen TV. It was such a hassle to talk to customer service multiple times, get a 2nd broken TV, and send that one back, but ultimately they're sending him a new model.

One of my students' house burned down. She was surprisingly cavalier about the whole thing. She missed a couple of days of school, because (according to her at least), she didn't have any school uniform to wear. But she seemed (at least on the surface) more concerned about the fact that she now doesn't have a TV. The kids I work with are so adaptable. Many of them go through a lot of turmoil, transition and change in their lives. From having parents in jail, no parents, being homeless, not having enough to eat, not having support at home to alcoholic parents, the list is endless.

It's all about perspective.

I can be a good complainer. I'm not looking forward to when Minnesota decides to buck up and become Minnesota, i.e. incredibly cold, and dealing with taking the bus in the cold. I'm making steady process towards needing a cup of coffee in the morning (something which I've been trying to avoid), and am still so so tired at work. I'm not getting to the gym as much as I'd like, because I naturally create a very busy schedule for myself. Yet I am constantly reminded that really, I have it pretty good. I made it through winter last year, I'll do it again. I have awesome friends who live close, and a fantastic family I get to see every couple of months in one way or another. I get enough to eat, have a good winter coat, and even though I make a modest living stipend (that enables me to get food stamps), I'm still able to invest in leisure activities--movies, plays, drinks, runs, events etc.


I'll leave you with the above video. Take a moment, and realize how lucky you have it. As cheesy as it sounds, take the time to count your blessings every now and then. Make it specific, and try to think of new things as often as possible. As it turns out, that's actually scientifically shown to boost your happiness (hellooooo comps research). So is volunteering--so take the time to give back to your community, to those who don't have it quite as good as you.

And thanks for reading, whoever you are, I'm glad you're in my life, to whatever extent that you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment